December 31, 2014 | No Comments YetTags: broad st, center city, fun things to do, new years, philadelphia, real estate, south philly, the barach group
New Year’s Day in Philadelphia means 10,000 dressed up men and women parading the streets of Center City for the annual Mummers Parade. The family-friendly parade starts at 10 a.m. at City Hall (new this year!) and ends at approximately 6 p.m.
Watching the more than 40 organized clubs parade down Broad Street is a singular and completely free experience — making for a great way to spend the New Year’s Day holiday.
Read on for our guide to the annual Mummers Parade.
In Philadelphia, the tradition dates back more than a hundred years and The Mummers Parade has now evolved into a carnival-style event made up of 10,000 men and women of all ages.
The men and women make up 40 organized clubs, and each club is split into one of five divisions: the Comics, Wench Brigades, Fancies, String Bands and Fancy Brigades.
Each division has a separate theme for their performance — The Comics and Wench Brigades make fun of issues and public figureheads, the Fancies compete for the most dazzling outfits, the String Bands showcase their musical talent as they play reed and string instruments and the Fancy Brigades perform highly choreographed shows.
The Mummers Parade makes its way past the Kimmel Center, which promises a full day of free events for parade viewers.
(Photo courtesy Kimmel Center)
The parade then goes south on Broad Street to its end point at Washington Avenue.
Where To Watch
• Rothman Ice Rink at Dilworth Park: Watch the Mummers go by while skating at the ice rink at Dilworth Park. The parade will start at 15th and Market streets this year — right in front of Dilworth Park.
• Creative and Performing Arts High School: New this year: The Creative and Performing Arts High School, CAPA, will serve as a family viewing spot complete with food trucks, music, a Jumbo-tron television and a warming area inside of CAPA.
• The Kimmel Center: The Kimmel Center hosts a variety of fun events to ring in the new year with the Mummers. Beginning at 9 a.m., enjoy birds-eye views of the parade, live performances, resolution crafts, free hot chocolate and more.
• 16th to 22nd Street on JFK Boulevard: For the first time, those who want a sneak peek of what’s to come can catch the Mummers doing last-minute practices as they line up on John F. Kennedy Boulevard between 16th and 22nd Streets before they head to the judging stand. Here, spectators can also meet the performers, get a close-up look at the spectacular costumes and even snap photos with the costumed marchers.
• City Hall: City Hall is one of the best places to catch the parade, but tickets are required to watch from the Grand Stand seating at City Hall. Spectators at the Grand Stand will be able to see the parade as soon as it starts as the parade leaves from City Hall this year. Update: Tickets for the seating at City Hall is now sold out.
In addition to the abundance of free viewing areas along Broad Street, certain areas do require viewers to purchase tickets.
Tickets for Grand Stand seating at City Hall are $20 per person, but are now sold out. Tickets to both Fancy Brigade Finales (at noon and 5 p.m.) can be purchased for $20 to $25 online.
Watch the Mummers perform a variety of family-friendly shows along the parade route on Broad Street. (Photo by R. Kennedy for Visit Philadelphia)
Those taking public transit can plan to take the regional rail to Suburban Station or the subway to the City Hall stop. From there, guests can easily walk to Broad Street to watch the family-friendly parade.
Once the Fancy Brigades finish the entire route — another new parade feature this year — they head to the Pennsylvania Convention Center for the Fancy Brigade Finale. The finales will take place at noon and 5 p.m. and promises a variety of highly entertaining performances for New Year’s Day revelers. Tickets are required for the finale and can be purchased online.
2015 Mummers Parade
When: Thursday, January 1, 10 a.m.-about 6 p.m
Where: Parade runs along Broad Street, beginning at City Hall and ending at Washington Avenue
Cost: Free along main route
More info: www.mummers.com
Read original article by Jillian Wilson for uwishunu.com here.
IF YOU’RE LOOKING TO MOVE TO OR SELL YOUR PROPERTY IN THIS GREAT CITY, CONTACT THE BARACH GROUP TODAY!!
FOR MORE NEWS ABOUT REAL ESTATE OR FUN INFORMATION ON RESTAURANTS/BARS IN THE CITY, CHECK OUT OUR NEWS PAGE!
TO GET A CLOSER LOOK INTO ALL THE GREAT AREAS OF THE CITY, VISIT OUR NEIGHBORHOODS PAGE!
THE BARACH GROUP IS HERE TO HELP YOU FIND THE HOME OF YOUR DREAMS! FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT OUR AGENTS, MEET OUR TEAM!
The Barach Group
Berkshire Hathaway Home Services
Fox and Roach Realtors
530 Walnut St, Suite 480
Philadelphia, PA 19106
Office: (215) 627-6005
Direct: (215) 521-1527
Mobile: (267) 254-0633
Fax: (215) 627-3142
The Barach Group was founded by Jonathan Barach and Christine Bonanno in 2011. In the few years our team has been established, it ranks highly among the elite realtors at Berkshire Hathaway, Fox & Roach Realtors grossing over 15 million dollars in sales.
Join Us On Facebook
Join us on Facebook and get our latest real estate news